9) Fulton invented the steamboat, which improved America's transportation system, thus improving trade. Steamboats were able to travel upstream, as well as carry much more weight than standard boats.
15) Immigrants left for a variety of reasons. Some left their homeland to flee political problems (many Germans) and other left for economic reasons. Many Irish left and came to America because of a potato famine
16) Ireland and Germany
20) Many Americans were "anti-immigrant" because they felt that the immigrants were taking jobs away from citizens. Some Americans were also anti-Catholic.
27) Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia.
31) America's Founding Fathers were influenced by Enlightenment ideas such as natural rights, as well as the idea that rulers must serve the people. They also borrowed Montesquieu's concept of separation of powers, which means that government should be divided into multiple branches in order not to allow any one branch from gaining too much power.
14) Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island
14) A democracy is a government which allows the people to rule.20) A constitution is a written plan of government.
Free Study Guide Answers:
5) As a soldier, Captain John Smith brought order, structure, and a strong work ethic to the Jamestown settlement in Virginia. He forced the settlers to farm and build sturdy homes, among other things. Tobacco became a "cash crop" and made the Virginia colony rich and significant, thus attracting more settlers and keeping them prosperous.
6) In addition to slavery, the colonies employed a system of indentured servitude. Under this system, poor Europeans could secure passage to the colonies if they agreed to work for a number of years on a plantation. These indentured servants often worked for years in miserable conditions to secure their freedom.
9) When the Pilgrims landed in 1620, they drafted the Mayflower Compact, a document that established Plimouth Plantation as a "civil body politic," under the sovereignty of King James I of England. Every man was required to sign it. More powerful in many ways than the House of Burgesses, the Mayflower Compact set up what some consider America's first true self-government (except for the self-governing Native Americans).
10) They were called "Separatists" because they wanted to separate from the Church of England.
12) William Bradford wrote "Of Plimoth Plantation"
Your assignment was to complete the entire packet. Make sure you read this homework assignment carefully, since there is a lot of important history in there. Here are some free answers to get you started:
Make sure you do a good job answering the Thought Questions! They will be graded!